Saturday, September 28, 2013

Trauma


      The week started off with an interesting event: me being bit by a mouse. The little vermin ran past my exposed foot (I was wearing sandals), and bit one of my toes. There was only thing I could do: freak out. The fear of tetanus, rabies, or some other painful disease began entering my head. Thankfully, my wonderful friends here cleaned the cut made by the rodent, which eased my mind. They then asked if I had been given a tetanus shot prior to coming to India, and to that I gave a reassuring "I don't know". Within minutes I was on the back of a motorcycle, on my way to a doctor's office at 10:30 pm. As my friend and I went around the small streets, we passed many a doctor's office. "Why aren't we going to any of these" I asked. My friend informed me that most of these doctors were not legitimately trained doctors and that he was taking me to a family friend who they know has a proper degree in medicine. For this reason, among MANY others, it is always good to have a local friend you can trust. Had I been by myself, I would have gone to one of these imposters of medicine. We arrived, I panicked (needles terrify me), and then the tetanus shot was administered. All in all, it wasn't a bad experience, and I learned about how to sift through the many doctors offices in the area. Oh, and not to mention my friends easing my "traumatic" experience by taking me out for ice cream and donuts afterwords. 

No comments:

Post a Comment