Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Home


     After a week in New Delhi, I flew to the city in which I will be residing for the remainder of my stay. This mega city overwhelms you with it's number of residents. The city's population margin of error is greater than the population of my home state in the U.S. That is just crazy. 
      From the airport, my roommate and I made our way to our apartment. Right away I noticed something I liked about this city: the autos and taxis are required to go by meter, so you don't have to worry about being cheated or arguing over twenty rupees every time you go out. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but after spending a week in Delhi where you have to argue with auto walas constantly, you appreciate this.
      We quickly reached our apartment, which is only fifteen minutes from the airport. Excitement filled me as I thought about how the place would look. All I knew was that it had two bedrooms, a western toilet (praise be), and was on the fourth floor. As we pulled into the complex, though, my enthusiasm was promptly crushed.  Not to complain, but this place is less than desirable. Neither my roommate or I are too enthused about calling this place "home" for the next few months. However, I am grateful for a place to stay, even if it isn't aesthetically pleasing.
       Putting the actual apartment aside, the neighborhood we are in is perfect.  It is very Indian, with little to no western stores or restaurants nearby. There is a barber, a vegetable and fruit market, and numerous fabric stores all within walking distance. I am looking forward to exploring the ins and outs of this neighborhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment